Well here we are again! Halfway through January; holiday decorations have been packed away and the stores have moved on to promoting Valentine’s Day. How are you doing with your New Year’s resolutions? We all know that any day of the year provides the opportunity for a fresh start, but there’s something about the dawn of a new year that’s particularly inspiring.
A fresh calendar provides a natural starting point for letting go of habits and relationships that don’t serve you and establishing healthy new routines and rituals in their place. It’s also the perfect time for some honest soul searching.
Are your resolutions feeling all too familiar? Have you made the same vows year after year, only to be back to your old ways by February – or even sooner?
Maybe the problem isn’t you at all…the fault might be with your resolutions. A shift in thinking might be just what you need to put the “Happy” back in New Year’s Resolutions, and to recognize that positive change doesn’t have to be a chore!
Here are my tips to making your own Happy New Year’s resolutions – the kind you’ll look forward to keeping:
1- The best goals come from a place of self- love rather than criticism or judgment. It’s easy to beat yourself up for not being perfect, but understand that you are enough, just the way you are. Treat yourself as you would a beloved friend and give yourself the loving support and encouragement you deserve.
2 – Heed your own inner wisdom – and stop worrying so much about what other people think. Remember that you are a divine being, and there’s no one in the world like you!
3 – Replace thoughts of fear and insecurity with optimism and a sense of adventure! You are on this earth for a short time, so make the most of it. Give yourself permission to live your very best life – on your terms. Enjoy!
4- Pick a goal that you’re excited about. Think outside the box. Maybe you don’t have to lose ten pounds or clean out your garage to have an amazing life. Take time to determine the changes that will make a meaningful difference to you.
5- Be mindful of your daily routine and be on the lookout for easy substitutions. Practice awareness without judgment for a day or two – noticing habits that don’t bring you contentment or joy. Spending too much time looking at screens? Read an inspiring book before bed instead of checking social media. Feeling sluggish after going through the drive through? Find a deli with healthy and tasty choices, and frequent that instead.
6 – Don’t go it alone. Find a like-minded buddy or a mentor – even an app can help!
7 – Invest in yourself. Have you been holding back from taking a trip, or going back to school, or making a home improvement that you’re longing for because of the expense involved? Take another look at your finances, and find a way to make it happen. The universe always says yes!
8- Harness the power of positivity by journaling, giving yourself positive affirmations throughout the day, and visualizing your success!
9- Make sure you’re spending time with people and engaging in activities (including your job) that support who you want to be. My grandma always said, “Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are.” Surround yourself with people who reflect your best self.
10 – Shift your perspective from judgment to gratitude. Don’t waste another minute gossiping about other people, or feeling critical of your own situation. Instead, see the light in others and yourself, and be grateful for the blessings around you.
The party doesn’t have to end on New Year’s Eve – It just took me a minute to come up with these fun resolutions for you! Check them out, then dream up some of your own:
- Make some new friends – find an interesting “meet up” in your area, take a course, volunteer for a charity, or join a club.
- Explore new places. Plan a trip to somewhere you’ve always longed to go – or throw a dart at a map and see where destiny takes you.
- Do something nice for someone else. Make it a habit to hold the door open for others, and be generous with compliments.
- Get a new hobby. Imagine the satisfaction you’ll feel if you learn to knit, or grow an herb garden.
- Adopt a dog and take them for walks. You’ll do a good deed, and experience the unconditional love of a pet – plus get some exercise – all at once!
- Replace a mind-numbing routine with something that lights you up. Sick of social media, or spending too much time on the couch watching Netflix? Learn to meditate, take a walk, soak in the hot tub or take a hot bath instead.
- Jazz up your gym routine. Instead of watching the news when you’re on the treadmill, load a great new playlist and let the music inspire you to new heights.
- Fuel up in the AM. Get up a few minutes earlier every day and make yourself a healthy delicious breakfast.
I hope I’ve helped you to make 2019 your best year ever – filled with happiness, love and amazing new experiences. Ready to jump in? I invite you to join me for a Soul Retreat in Cancun, Mexico. Check it out here – and remember that spirit always says YES!