I was sitting on the couch the other day, wondering what the next few months would bring. I admit, I was feeling a little glum. As much as I enjoy spending time at home, I do miss being on the road – exploring new places and connecting with friends and students face to face. Suddenly I felt a cold nose pushing into my hand and looked over to see my little dog, Maisey, gazing at me with so much love and compassion that it brought tears to my eyes.
“At least we’re together, and I love you.” I heard her thoughts in my head.
Anyone who has ever owned a pet has experienced this. You’re feeling sad, or uncertain, or lonely, and suddenly there they are, looking at you as if they understand exactly what you’re feeling. Their simple presence makes your home – and your world – a better place.
Where would we be without our pets?
People often say, “we humans don’t deserve dogs!” I believe that’s true of all pets, and while we might not be worthy of them, their selfless loyalty is exactly what we need. Animals enter our lives for a reason. They teach by example, demonstrating again and again the healing power of unconditional love. I don’t know what I would have done without Maisey over the last few months. She’s always by my side, reminding me that love, forgiveness, and gratitude are the key to living a soul-based life.
The pets we love are always with us.
The sad thing about most pets is that they don’t live as long as we do. But as it is with any soul that passes, love is an unbreakable bond that transcends death. Pets stay close to the people and places they loved in life, and they send us signs that they are near. I’ve connected with hundreds of dogs, cats, horses and birds on the other side who maintain a soul-connection with their loved ones. They check out the new pets in the home, curl up on their favorite chair, and often sleep at the foot of the bed – just like they did when they were alive.
Do you have a pet that means the world to you? Here are some ways to feel an even deeper soul-connection with your furry or feathered friend:
- Tune into your pet energetically – gently focus on them while gently touching them and imagine a flow of love and light traveling between you.
- Connect with your pet psychically. Imagine your pet as a beautiful soul inhabiting a physical body. Ask if they have a message for you, then invite them to speak to you psychically or to visit you in your dreams.
- Look at the world from your pets’ point of view. If they’re close to the ground, get down next to them so you can see the world from their level. Take the time to imagine what they are experiencing.
- Journal or write about your pet – ask yourself what has brought the two of you together. In my situation, Maisy came into my life to heal me from a trauma that I couldn’t shake.
- Let your pet know how much you appreciate them. Make them feel taken care of and understood. Talk to them and sing to them. They might not be able to speak out loud, but they’ll give you signs to let you know if they are happy, healthy and comfortable.
If you’re reading this, I’m guessing you’re an animal lover too. If you’d like to learn how to deepen your connection to a pet – living or dead – I hope you’ll join me for my upcoming live webinar – The JVP Spiritual Animal Friends. We’re still working out the details, but over three live video sessions, I promise to help you understand, connect with, and heal the loving creatures in your life. Stay tuned, and in the meantime, follow me on Facebook to hear the latest news!