A few days ago, I was preparing some notes for a Zoom call I was having with my coaching students later that day. It was an absolutely beautiful morning, and sunshine was flooding my office. My little dog, Maisey, had found a warm patch on the carpet to stretch out on, and as I glanced over at her I found my mind wandering.
That’s not surprising. Often when I’m preparing a lesson, I find myself instinctively doing what I advise my students to do – I sit in the silence and open myself up to whatever the universe has to tell me.
A few minutes later, a noise downstairs jolted me. Had I fallen asleep? No. The answer was right in front of me. When I glanced down at the notes I’d been putting together I noticed my previously empty page was now filled with writing, and written in bold letters on top was the word – CONSCIOUSNESS.
“I guess Spirit has decided what I’ll be talking about later,” I said to myself.
If you’re one of my students or have worked with any spiritual teacher, you’ve heard the word countless times. You may have talked about raising your consciousness; higher consciousness; levels of consciousness. It’s no secret. Consciousness is important to any spiritual practice.
But what is consciousness?
Well, let’s see what the dictionary has to say…
Merriam-Webster’s definition of consciousness includes:
- The quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself.
- The state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact.
- AWARENESS, especially concern for a social or political cause.
- The upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes
That sounds pretty basic. Is it possible that this “consciousness” we’re all trying so hard to raise is simply awareness of ourselves, others, and issues that impact the world around us?
It’s as simple and powerful as that. And a good way to realize its importance is by turning the whole concept upside down and considering what happens when you’re NOT conscious.
- Your health. Imagine going to the doctor and being advised to manage your stress, lose weight, or lower your cholesterol. You may change your ways and adopt a healthy lifestyle, but more often, you start with the best of intentions then get distracted and without even realizing it, revert to your old ways. Because of this lack of awareness, when you go back to the doctor, you’ve gained weight and your cholesterol is even higher!
- Your finances. If you’re financially unconscious, you’re probably tired of being broke. It would feel so good to have a few months of living expenses in the bank or save for a new car or a trip. But suddenly you look at your bank balance and realize you haven’t put aside any money in savings and you don’t even have enough to make it till the next payday. What happened?
- Your relationships. You know that being a good partner, family member, or friend requires that you listen and be present. But distractions are everywhere, and you find yourself glancing at your phone when your spouse is talking, or stressing about work when you’re home with the kids. With your lack of attention (or awareness), you miss out on precious moments with the people who matter to you.
- Your own energy. You know what’s best for you, but time after time you find yourself saying yes when you want to say no, and spending time with people who sap your energy instead of those who build you up. When you waste your energy on people and activities that aren’t aligned with your purpose, you can feel it deep in your soul! If you dismiss that feeling or you’re too worried about pleasing other people to even notice it, that’s unconscious behavior – and it will keep you from spending your valuable time and energy in a way that most benefits you.
What you focus on, improves.
Recognizing your behavior is an important step toward becoming aware. You KNOW the areas of your life that are running smoothly and those that need some attention. So, the next time you plan a meal, consider a purchase or decide who to spend your time with, stop and think. Are you making a choice that will help you progress toward your goals? Does it FEEL right? Consciousness isn’t complicated, and when you raise yours, you’ll find yourself breaking old patterns and living a life that’s in sync with your soul!
Remember, you’re a soul having a human experience on earth, not the other way around. When you become conscious of your thoughts, words, actions, and behavior, it clears the way for even deeper awareness. That’s when you find yourself opening up and connecting with all the wisdom that the universe has to offer you. In fact, that’s what happened to me this morning when I opened my heart and let my higher self take over planning my student call.
You’re on this planet for a reason, to spread love and learn lessons that help your soul evolve and grow. Make the most of your time here by being mindful and aware – not just of the physical world around you, but of your own inner knowing and the signs and signals the universe is sending you. If you’d like to learn more about raising your consciousness and enhancing your connection to Spirit, my Mediumship Level 1 Certification Course is filled with tools and techniques to help you on your journey!